Thursday, November 17, 2016

Week 12 - Cuclorus Experience



So, long story about how I managed to get to Cucalorus in the end. After having a terrible string of events, Andre finally found a solution to help me get to the venue. Unfortunately, I failed to check my email that night and not until noon the next day, where I was offered an opportunity to grab a pass from Dave Monahan. I tried to come by his office as soon as I had read the email, but he was not in. I checked in when I was free in the afternoon and still didn’t run into him. Terribly sorry about butchering this one, it was entirely my fault.

Later that night, I got back to my apartment where my roommate had a few people over. I expressed my concerns with not being able to attend Cucalorus, to which one of our guests says his work has passes available to employees, but he won’t be able to attend since he’s working all weekend. He tells me he can grab it for me after he gets off work on Saturday, so I jump on the offer.

So, November 10th was also my birthday, and a group of my friends had planned a night out on Saturday in celebration for me, so I bump into my friend at this dinner, where he hands me a Pegasorus Pass. I’m incredibly grateful, and plan to go all day on Sunday to get as many screenings as I can. Well, after the long night of dinner and a little bit of downtown, I wake up around noon on Sunday. Turns out my roommate’s sister had performed the night before at Jengo’s, and he was given a free Pegasorus Pass to go watch. We drive down, and I managed to see two films: Moos and the secret screening The Levelling.

I enjoyed Moos since it was a more lighthearted tale, with quirky characters and a nice message. The story follows a family in the netherlands who are Jewish. So, it plays on a lot of Jewish stereotypes while being a foreign film. Everything flowed nicely and I left rather happy. The Levelling was a BBC film based around a daughter and father who are preparing for the funeral of the son who committed suicide. It was definitely more solemn, but a story of the importance of getting along with your family. Very interesting one, and definitely something I’d recommend.

More than anything, Cucalorus become more of a hassle than an enjoyable experience. Falling on the same weekend as my birthday didn’t make things easier, but the lack of ability to buy the jibasorus pass was also a problem. I have to thank my friend for at least helping get a few screenings in, but I know it’s not the 5 Andre intended. Hopefully it amounts to something, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment