Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Introduction - David Johnson

I am currently at 4th year student here at UNCW, majoring in both Film Studies and Computer Science. My main interest when it comes to filmmaking is post production. It's amazing to me how much the meaning of a video changes depending on how it's assembled in post. One of the first videos I did -which led me to add Film Studies to my major- was a simple montage video from a TV show. Combining actions scenes and timing them with music was very basic, but the response I got from friends and family when I showed them made me want to pursue video editing more.

Fast forward a few years later, and while I don't have too much time to make personal projects, sitting down to edit anything from my classes is always my favourite part. The narrative piece from my 201 got a lot of positive response from the edit, and my documentary was a great practice in b-roll editing which it always fun. The experimental was one of my struggle ones, though, as I enjoy purpose and form in my work. I understand experimental has purpose, but most often to me it defies the normal rules and styles of editing that I enjoy. My hope with this course is to expand my understanding of experimental film, hopefully allowing for a newfound appreciation and to improve my abilities in video editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment